12.24.2009

STICKS AND STONES THROWN



SO it's the end of the year, and usually this when every critic/ blogger/ record label/ magazine/ media outlet release a list of their picks for songs of the year.

I dont really feel like doing that, but I will say that 2009 to me had one real stand out entire RECORD LABEL.

Stones Throw records, founded by Chris Manak A.K.A. Peanut Wolf, Released 3 of the years best records, and they should all be on any music critics top 10 list.

Those records being Dam Funk's "Toeachhizown" Mayer Hawthorne's "A Strange Arrangement" and James Pants' "Seven Seals"

I have been lucky enough, that over the last year or two, gotten to know and DJ along side Dam Funk, and along with being an amazing DJ, turning me on to amazing funk and disco mostly from the early 80's, he is also a great talent. On top of that, he is probably one of the nicest, most humble people you'll ever meet. If you live in L.A. and get a free monday night, I highly recommend you stop by his night "Funkmosphere" at the Carbon Bar in Culver City. Definitely worth the drive.

I also got to DJ along side James Pants earlier this year, and he is one of the most exuberant insane DJ's Ive ever seen. He will be returning to LA this January.

Here are some of my favorite tracks by them for you to check out.

Merry Holidays everyone!

Dam Funk- One Less Day



Mayer Hawthorne- Just ain't gonna work out


James Pants "Thin Moon"

No comments:

Post a Comment